Pregnancy causes a lot of changes to the body, so much such that it can completely change your diet pattern, and you also put on some extra weight. It happens differently with everyone but weight gain is one of the general changes most people experience. After pregnancy or delivery, the next goal is to fit into your usual cloth sizes as soon as possible. This takes time to achieve because your body needs time to recover and resume its usual normal state of being. Drastic weight loss after delivery is not advisable if you are breastfeeding, as it can affect the quality of breastmilk produced. It is best to lose weight gradually over time. Give yourself some time, to pick up your before-pregnancy shape and size.
It is important to be realistic about how you intend to go about the weight loss so you can have a free mind and not feel burdened about it. Also, keep in mind that you may not be able to return to the exact shape and size you were before childbirth.
One very key way to lose weight is by breastfeeding. It helps you lose weight naturally by burning calories, thus, fat cells stored in your body during the period of pregnancy as well as calories from your diet during breastfeeding, help in the production of breast milk and also constitutes it. You’ll notice the change in weight with time because it would be gradual if you exclusively breastfeed.
If you are breastfeeding, as mentioned earlier, drastic weight loss is not advisable.
Here are some healthy ways to lose weight after pregnancy or during breastfeeding:
• Starting in the mornings, eat breakfast, to get energized for your day. Some new mothers skip meals or forget to eat because all their attention is on the baby. Not eating when you should mean you will have less energy, and not lose weight, because once you eat, the calories are replaced. It also affects the general state of your health.
• Make time for your meals. Do not multitask while eating, else you would end up eating too much over a period without noticing. It is much easier to know exactly how much food makes you feel satisfied when you make time and take your time to eat.
• Eat foods high in fiber and protein to make you full. Examples; cabbage, boiled eggs, carrots, cucumber, beans, whole grains, apples, and Legumes ( examples; peas, soybeans, peanuts, etc. are all sources of fiber. They are also an excellent source of non-animal based, low-fat proteins for vegetarian diets if you are), broccoli, flaxseeds, raspberries, sweet potatoes ( baked ), avocado, oatmeal, pear, etc.
• Drink enough water every day. 8 glasses of water, minus juices or any other liquid foods preferable to you. Fruit juices should contain natural sugars..
• Reduce the intake of processed food and drinks that have artificial sugars and calories. Check food labels. These added sugars and calories add up to your weight.
• Eat natural whole foods and fruits preferably. For vitamins and fiber.
Exercising the body has a lot of benefits to the body one is, burning up stored fats. Depending on the type of delivery a person undergoes ( virginal delivery or a caesarian section), she may require certain types of exercises to start with. Also, Because the body is still recovering after childbirth, it is not advisable to start with vigorous exercises. There is no specified time to start exercising after childbirth because everyone experiences it differently. It is best to confirm with your doctor, the time appropriate for you, based on the state of your health. Nevertheless, you can start with a range of motion exercises and then progress as time goes on. A healthy diet in addition to consistent exercising is a good way to measure the amount of weight lost over a period.
Be mindful of going too far, no extremes. You can have walks in your neighborhood, and stretch and flex your limbs. Find out more simple exercises you can do, then start with those, for instance, range of motion exercises (ROM) as mentioned earlier.
Be realistic with your weight loss goals and plans. Be determined, don’t give up and you will achieve your goals. Don’t be hard on yourself to lose weight within the shortest possible time. It is best to lose weight gradually after delivery.